DNR Lake Number: 70005400
Surface Area: 587 acres
Average Depth: 18 feet
Maximum Depth: 34 feet
Ordinary High Water Level: 912.8 feet above sea level
Connectivity to other waterbodies: Flows north into Upper Prior Lake. Receives the water which drains from the primarily agricultural upper watershed.
Watershed Area: 12,430 acres
Public Boat Access: Located just off of Vergus Ave on southwestern side of the lake.
Impairment Status: Impaired for excess nutrients. See the TMDL study for more information.
Lake Level Data
All lake level data below are approximate and preliminary – NOT to be used for legal purposes. Sudden drops or spikes are often due to calibration, which are manual adjustments to correct the lake level value. Please contact the PLSLWD office for official readings. Lake levels after 2012 were collected using an automated level logger that is calibrated to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) staff gauge. Lake levels prior to 2012 were recorded by reading the DNR staff gauge manually.
Note: Graphs will not draw properly with Internet Explorer 9 or older browsers. Newer versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari browsers will work properly. Dates prior to 2014 are recorded in a local datum to be consistent with the DNR staff gauge readings. Data in 2014 and beyond will be displayed in NVGD29 datum.
Estimated flow through the Spring Lake outlet stream, calculated from a rating curve based on past measurements of lake level and discharge. Note that the rating curve is only valid for lake elevations between 910 and 914 and when there is no temporary dam in place (e.g. 2014 flood control efforts). Stream discharge is calculated in cubic feet per second (cfs).
Temperature data available from March 31, 2017 onward. Sensor is located in the channel entering Spring Lake from the south, so temperatures do not reflect surface conditions on the lake.
The following graphs represent the annual averages between May 1 and September 30.
- Spring Lake Alum Treatment
- Spring Lake-Upper Prior Lake TMDL Report (link to MPCA site)
- Carp Electrofishing (2014)
Studies and Reports
- 1983 Diagnostic & Feasibility Study of Spring Lake
- 1993 Diagnostic & Feasibility Study of Spring and Prior Lakes
- Spring Lake Site Specific Standard (EPA approval letter)
- 2013 Historical Water Quality and Ecological Change in Spring Lake
- 2013 Pre-settlement Water Quality and Algal Change in Spring Lake
- Original Land Survey (1854)
Aquatic plants and Sediment
- 2016 Spring Lake – Curlyleaf Pondweed Assessment
- 2015 Spring Lake Aquatic Vegetation Survey and Curlyleaf Pondweed Assessment
- 2014 Spring Lake – Curlyleaf Pondweed Full Report
- 2013 Spring Lake Aquatic Vegetation Survey and Curlyleaf Pondweed Assessment
- 2012 Spring Lake Aquatic Vegetation Survey and Curlyleaf Pondweed Assessment
- 2011 Spring Lake Aquatic Vegetation Survey and Curlyleaf Pondweed Assessment
- 2010 Spring Lake Aquatic Vegetation Survey and Curlyleaf Pondweed Assessment
- 2013 Sediment Coring Study of Spring Lake
- 2010 Spring Lake Sediment Study – Pre and Post Settlement Nutrient and Heavy Metal Accumulation
- 2008 Curlyleaf and Eurasian Watermilfoil Growth Potential based on Lake Sediment Characteristics for Spring, Fish, Upper Prior, and Lower Prior Lakes